Make a Difference Day
Philoptochos Chapters Across the Country
Honor Archbishop Demetrios
and Make A Difference with Children
At its May 2015 meeting, the National Board adopted a cross-generational initiative to honor His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios on the occasion of his Nameday on October 26. In conjunction with Make a Difference Day, which occurs each year in late October, chapters across the US were encouraged to sponsor projects involving the children in their parishes in “acts of kindness” in order to teach our youth about giving back to their communities and to directly involve them in philanthropy. Projects included thank you cards to veterans, get well cards to patients in hospitals, personal care kits for the homeless, canned food drives, service to senior citizens, etc.
Mark your calendars for October 28, 2017 for this year's
Make A Difference Day!
Make a Difference Day - 2017
Every act of kindness grows spirit and strengthens the soul.
- Author unknown
Dear National Board Members, Philoptochos Chapter Presidents and Philoptochos Sisters,
This year Philoptochos’ tradition of Make A Difference Day will continue, and it will be significant because of you! Make A Difference Day 2017 will come to fruition with your enthusiasm and support. As you recall, this project was launched in 2015 and presented at the 2016 National Philoptochos Convention. It showcased chapters across our nation Making A Difference.
Make A Difference Day is Saturday, October 28. Our goal is to reach out and encourage everyone in our community to participate. Regardless of age, you qualify to participate. There are no criteria of who can or cannot join in this initiative. We are all capable of Making A Difference. With a gentle act of kindness, someone’s life can be made a little better.
It is our hope that each Philoptochos steward participates and will be the encouraging force that influences others to Make A Difference. We ask each Metropolis Philoptochos President and Chapter Presidents to seek out an individual from their Chapter to chair and oversee this initiative. This individual should be someone who will get our children, our teenagers, parent groups, and hopefully even our seniors involved.
Making A Difference to others and Acts of Kindness has no limitations. However, our goal is to engage in this initiative during the months of September and October. Please know Philoptochos embraces this initiative of Making A Difference, to honor His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios, Geron Of America for his Name Day on October 26.
We want to hear from you! As you plan your Make A Difference events, please share them with us by sending a short email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon completion of your events, please forward photos. The photos and stories will be shared on the National Philoptochos website, Facebook Page and other social media for all to see and to experience the joy that your acts of kindness brought to others.
We have included some suggestions and resources for you. Thank you for embracing this most worthy initiative!
With Love in Christ,
Maria Logus Irene Arsoniadis, Theone Dickos
*The above pictures are of previous Make A Difference Day projects. The first picture is of children in the JOY group in Boca Raton, FL making personalized cards to send along with health kits they assembled to deliver to the homeless. The second picture is of Sunday School and Greek School children who worked on a project for Veterans with the Philoptochos chapter in Fairview, NJ. They wrote 150 thank you cards and delivered them to Veterans hospitals in northern New Jersey.
Making A Difference-Acts of Kindness
Suggestions and Resources
Ideas That You Can Do
- Pay it backward: Buy coffee for the person behind you in line
- Compliment the first three people you talk to today
- Send a positive text message to five different people right now
- Donate old towels or blankets to an animal shelter
- Leave unused coupons to the person behind you in line
- Let someone go in front of you in line who only has a few items
- Practice self-kind and spend 30 minutes doing something you love to do
- Leave a kind server a bigger than usual tip
- Keep an extra umbrella so you can lend it out when it rains
- Put your phone away in the company of others
Service Projects Kids Can Do
- Host a Hunger Heroes play date --Teach kids to help the hungry by hosting a Hunger Heroes food drive play date. Kids can bring food to donate to the local food pantry and learn why it is important to help others
- Clean up litter in your community -- Pick a park, neighborhood, beach…..
- Send a thank you note to a service member
- Collect donations in lieu of birthday gifts
- Take treats and write thank you notes to first responders
- Help out in local animal shelters by collecting used blankets, throw rugs and towels
Service and Acts of Kindness Towards Seniors
- Offer to go grocery shopping for an older friend or neighbor.
- Send older relatives a weekly card just to let them know you are thinking about them
- Create something with technology that an older person may not understand. Download Big Band Music to a CD, make copies of the CD and give it to older neighbors. Also donate copies to senior centers, nursing homes and retirement centers.
- Brighten an older person’s spring season. In the spring, plant flowers in their lawn or flower box, and over the other seasons tend to existing plants - indoor and outdoor.
- Wash an older person’s car
- Read the newspapers- even over the telephone- to a senior whose eyesight is impaired.
- Make a basket of fragrant soaps, hand creams and bath salts for an older woman. Every woman, at any age, loves to feel beautiful
- Deliver and serve a meal to a senior center
Service Projects Seniors Can Do
- Help register people to vote
- Donate or raise money for your local Red Cross
- Babysit children during a PTA Meeting
- Sponsor a child living in a foreign country
Literature for Children
Make a Difference With Loukoumi
Author: Nick Katsoris
A Girl With A Cape
Author: Amy Logan
How Full is Your Bucket?
Author: Tom Rath
14 Cows for America
Author: Carmen Agra Deedy
Author: Peter H. Reynolds
Author: Jacqueline Woodson
Author: Libba Moore Gray
Make a Difference Day - 2016
Click Here to access the Make a Difference Day presentation for the 2016 National Philoptochos Biennial Convention, with details of projects sponsored by chapters across the country.
Click here to read a letter with details on planning your 2016 Make a Difference Day.